Monday, October 22, 2012

Objectives of this blog

     As the United States continues its quadrennial electoral process for the office of President, I am beginning this blog.  First, however, I have to set out to explain why I am writing it, and then why I am using the theory of realpolitik to domestic policy decisions.

     The purpose of this whole blog experiment is my attempt at drafting ideas that can be further developed as I continue on my educational journey.  As has been made evident by the political ads and debates that the candidates have taken part in, the American population is one that looks at issues from a very moralistic view point.  While this is not inherently bad or wrong, it does create a vacuum in which clear, realistic thought can be lost.  In an effort to have full disclosure, I am a realist as a political scientist.  My personal faith, or motivations for who I vote for are my own.  As such, I will attempt to not use my own lens to analyze policy decisions.  Does this mean I will always be successful?  Of course not.  Anytime an author states that they will be without bias, they are establishing their bias.  With that as a known factor, I will do my best to not try to bias my posts here.  No promises, but I will do my best.

     Secondly, the idea of realpolitik.  For those not familiar with the concept, it was coined in the 19th century by Ludwig von Rochau, a German writer and politician.  In his book, Grundsätze der Realpolitik angewendet auf die staatlichen Zustände Deutschlands,(The political organization of human society), von Rouchau describes the meaning of the term:

"The political organism of human society created by the state and is in virtue of a natural law that meets the man with or without consciousness voluntarily or involuntarily in this sense is that old word spoken man is a political animal in this sense should tell a well-known doctrine of the modern era of State is of God, both sentences are correct, fully understood as the same."

So, in essence, realpolitik is more than realism as it describes the human person as it relates to the organization of the state, and society in general.  With this concept in mind, it is my hope that any analysis provided on this blog is a balanced approach, that will attempt to make sense of what can be a very frustrating arena of thought; American Politics.

     As I begin this process, I welcome any and all comments.  Also, any policies or current ideas that any readers may have are welcome as well.  To say that any one candidate or party has the correct position on all issues is not a political dialogue.  The ability to analyze and honestly apply a theory to the policy may help us, in the long term, to see the advantages and disadvantages of what the outcome may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment